This is one of the easiest ways to add protein into your diet. Garbanzo beans are packed with protein and the red pepper adds that touch of sweetness. Hummus is so versatile and easy to tolerate. Grab some of those raw veggies and enjoy!
- 1 – 16 ounce can garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoon water
- 1 ea red bell pepper (seeded, roasted, and peeled)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Can opener
- Food processor
1. Cut pepper in half and remove seeds. Place under the broiler and broil until skin is black. Carefully place pepper in ziplock plastic bag. When cool, peel off blackened skin and place pepper in food processor.
2. Drain garbanzo beans and add beans to food processor.
3. Add remaining ingredients to food processor and blend until everything is mixed well.
4. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with salt, pepper, additional lemon juice and/or honey.
5. Hummus can be eaten alone, with a hard boiled egg white, with veggies or with crackers.
Yield: 6 servings ½ cup each approximately 200
calories and 8 grams protein per serving.