Be fastidious with mouth care/cleanliness to prevent secondary bacterial infection of mouth lesions.
- Eat soft, bland foods such as creamed soups, cooked cereals, yogurt, pudding, mashed potatoes, eggs, custards, casseroles, smoothies and shakes.
- Drink liquids and semi-soft solids through a straw to bypass mouth areas with sores and lesions.
- Blend or moisten foods with yogurt; tofu; pudding; soft cereals such as oatmeal, cream of wheat, and malt-omeal; warm water; juice; milk; soy milk; rice milk; etc.
- Try non-acidic juices such as apple, apricot, peach, pear nectar, or grape juice. (Do not use grape juice if diarrhea is present.)
- Avoid tart, acidic, or salty beverages and foods such as citrus. Avoid pickled items, tomato based foods, alcohol, caffeine and tobacco.
- Encourage inclusion of soft, probiotic containing foods such as yogurt.